Wednesday, March 28, 2012

A Little Reminder - mostly for me


A few weeks ago I was able to go to a Relief Society Fireside featuring Janice Kapp Perry. A.MAZ.ING!! I could listen to her speak for hours. She is personable, and funny, and a great speaker. She has so many interesting insights on life, and the gospel, and of course music (and its important place in our homes). During the fireside Sister Perry read a poem to us that I think resonated with every single person in the audience. She had about a billion people ask her for a copy of the poem, so she sent out a mass email to everyone with it.

This is really something I needed to hear. I get busy with myself. I get busy thinking that everyone and everything in my life is holding me back from doing all the millions of fun things I would like to do. I get busy feeling sorry for myself, like being a wife and mother and homemaker wasn't exactly what I wanted to do in life.

This poem has changed my perspective. I am trying hard to not get angry when I have to stop what I'm doing to do something more important. My kids, my family, my responsibilities - those are the most important. If my garden doesn't look great (it doesn't), I can live with that. If I have 15 half-finished projects in my house, that's okay too. "There is a time" for all of that.

This poem has made the rounds on facebook in my ward, and I hope you guys enjoy it as much as we have.

There Is A Time
By Millie Foster Cheesman from her book Reflections of Modern Pioneers
I
There is a time
to grow
to receive
to live
to prepare.
There is a time
to learn
to believe
to serve
to share.
There is a time
to love
to marry
to bear
children.
To stay close
to home
and hearth
and
seldom
roam
far
from
little hands
that
hug!

I I
Oh, then is the time
to teach
from all
you have learned,
to let
little ones
see
how you
respond
to
the daily turn
of events.

III
There is a time
for tears
and faith
and years
of
routine days
until
legs
and limbs
and spirits
are strong:

I V
And somewhere
along
this road
is a time
to let go,
to release.
And know
that
your children
through you
have also
grown
and received
and shared.
For they have been
taught
faith
and served
and shared!

V
Oh Yes
There is a time
of
personal
yearning
so,
through
the years
NEVER STOP
Learning!

V I
For there is a time
for years
of self-expression
when
families
are grown with
children of
their own.
Oh, then is the time
for
endless
creativity
and service
and personal
productivity
content
in the knowledge
that

VII
There was a time
when you
did not
falter
when hearts
were young,
and none
were sacrificed
at the altar
of
your own
self-expression.

VIII
Yes!
Through your life
when deeds
were bound
close
to baby hearts,
in work
somewhat
less sublime
than
that
which you
had planned,
you can say
“Hold fast
my inner self
and remember . . .
“There is a time!”

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Karen, that is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I needed to hear that. Whatever our stage in life, we need to be reminded of what is most important.

    ReplyDelete